Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Kyle Riley

Damn it, I lost another one. One of my favorite people in the world passed last week. I didn't know about it until today. Kyle was a hell of a guitar player and a great, humorous, natural sounding radio announcer. Kyle and I teamed up at KFMH in Muscatine Iowa, where, at the time, was the finest free form AOR station ever. It was literally a place where you could walk into, do an airshift and know that somewhere, you made someone happy with a song or a request. Anything you want at any time. Like radio used to be. Kyle and I teamed up and did the "Kyle Riley Randy Raley Ravenous Record Review" (complete with sound effects) on New Years Eve in 1977. I had not seen Kyle for a long time when my new job took me back to Muscatine. I happened to stop in at the old place and it is in the exact same spot it was when I was there. Same layout and actually some of the same people. It was like walking into a time machine. It was then that I found out my friend Kyle had been battling brain cancer for a while. I called and we agreed to meet, but I could tell he wasn't the guy I once new. There are very few men in my life I tell I love them. Kyle was one guy I told the last time I saw him, which was the first part of May. He died of brain cancer on Wednesday of last week. He was buried on Friday. I think I would like to see his wife Sue. A true gentlemen and talent, you will be missed, bro.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you've lost another friend Randy. God bless ...

Blog Archive

Web Tracking