Sunday, January 29, 2006

It was 20 years ago today


i had just taken a shower at my apartment in Chesterfield. It was all over my little Trinitron and I had a sinking feeling in my gut because so much was made of Christa McAuliffe being on the misson. Ronald Reagan's speech was brilliant but also ironic. It turns out that it WAS NOT safe to send them up. NASA wanted the teacher in the air during the State of The Union speech and apparently threw caution to the wind. I will never forget the horror of the McAuliffe's parents after it exploded. It was almost as if they were saying "this really didn't happen did it?" Godspeed to all who gave their life in the name of exploration. One of the worst memories was when I got to KSHE that afternoon and one of the staff members said I should play "Bits and Pices" by the Dave Clark Five in honor of them. That's just the kind of guy he was.

1 comment:

jabartlett said...

You have an absolutely marvelous blog, sir. I'm an old radio guy myself (out of the biz for seven years now), and it sounds as if you and I have had some similar experiences, and perhaps a similar outlook on some things. (For what it's worth, I blog about them at hitsjustkeeponcomin.blogspot.com.)

Keep up the good work--I'll be back.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking