Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Summer of 1980...



























was one hot muhfugga. I lived with Cliff Schultz (local record guy) in a house at 74th and Holmes in Kansas City. It was a very nice tudor home with four bedrooms. I had one bedroom and a bath off of it. Hey, I was 24 and it was all I needed at that time. I drove a 1969 VW with NO air conditioningIn the middle of July, Cliff and I removed all of his window unit air conditioners because the brand spanking new central unit was on its way...and then all hell (literally) broke loose. The next day, the mercury hit 98 and then after that, the daytime temperature was never below 100 for the next THREE weeks. "White Hot" by Red Rider was on the radio, along with "Against The Wind" by Bob Seger, "This Beat Goes On" by The Kings and "I Hear You Know" by Jon and Vangelis. I was unattached but became attached when a woman I had met at a remote broadcast asked me out for a drink while I was on the air. I normally didn't do that kind of thing (yeah, right)but I met her for a drink that night and (on her tab) we immediately moved into The Raphael hotel on the plaza. Here I was, bumpkin Bill, and here was this Jewish woman from Long Island in my life. Uh...let's just say, I had a great time and shortly thereafter, she broke it off with me. I still think of her a lot. She taught me a lot about a lot of things. Thanks for being a chapter in the book, Liz. 112 degress at 4:48 PM. I remember it well.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking