Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Applebee's, North Platte Nebraska


I used to be a waiter. And a cook. And a busser. And a host. It's a tough job. Sometimes, when I am on the road, if they are a good candidate, I will engage a conversation with a waiter (or, more likely a waitress, hey, what can I say?). I met a young lady named Amber tonight, she was very perky and seemed happy. As the meal went along, I asked her a few questions...like "If you could go anywhere in the country for five days, where would you go?" "Hawaii" she said, with no hesitation. "I would take my husband on the honeymoon we never got to have." Very nice. After a return visit to the table; I asked her what she did other than being a waitress. "I went to school for awhile, but my husband just got back from Iraq and I wanted to spend more time with him, he came back pretty banged up." Whoa, I didn't expect that. Then to top it off, I asked her if she could have dinner with anyone she wanted dead or alive, who would it be? "My dad, he died in Desert Storm." Shit.
I now felt terrible. I never try and judge anyone, I can't imagine what it would be like to walk in someone else's shoes. She brought me the bill, it was $13.66. I left her a $13 tip. If Learfield doesn't cover it, I will.

1 comment:

Max said...

Things like this show one of the great realities in life. Until we take the time to talk to someone we will never know what is underneath. We mostly only see what others really want us to see on the outside.

The other thing that hit me about this entry is that it sounds very familiar to the Clay Walker song "Chain Of Love"

Oh, I hope you don't mind but I linked this entry to my livejournal account.
http://indigo-max.livejournal.com/

Max...

Blog Archive

Web Tracking