Saturday, February 25, 2006

Food For Thought


THE MAN!
I was in a conversation the other day with a friend of mine and he said he thought that if Jesus were alive today he would be a conservative due to his opposition to abortion. I am a Christian man. I have accepted the Lord and believe he is my saviour and salvation. Yes, I am also a sinner, but I believe that Jesus loves ALL of us, regardless, as long as we stand before him and accept his message. I asked my friend if he was in favor of the death penalty and he said he was. Would Jesus be? Pro-life is pro-life. He thought that Jesus also said .."an eye for an eye". I am not a biblical scholar but I thought that was an Old Testament saying, long before Jesus arrived. I think Jesus said "turn the other cheek". Jesus also said something like...(see the beatitudes comment on this post)...blessed are the poor, the meek and the down trodden for they will inherit the Earth." I think he also said something about blessing the peacemakers, too. That doesn't sound like Washington to me, does it you? Yes, I believe in protecting the unborn, but then when they are born into poverty or unfortunate circumstances, we can't abandon them then, can we? I have no answers to the question, but I think MY Jesus is a tolerant, loving God that believes in mercy, grace and forgiveness. Forgiveness...I think that's what separates Christianity from the other religions. The act of forgiving. Anyway, I don't even think Jesus would be hanging on this continent. He'd be in Africa or somewhwere hanging with the AIDS patients, this millenium's lepers. BTW, do we really believe he was fair haired with blue eyes? Please. I think he probably was a bit darker and shorter than we think and with a black beard rather than brown. More swarthy, I guess is how you would put it; maybe like this...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ignore my previous response. Here are the eight Beatitudes from the text of St. Matthew follows:

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Verse 3)

Blessed are the meek: for they shall posses the land. (Verse 4)

Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted. (Verse 5)

Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill. (Verse 6)

Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. (Verse 7)

Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God. (Verse 8)

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. (Verse 9)

Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Verse 10)

RR said...

Thanks, Mike. I still think that these are some of the most important lessons in the bible. I promise very few political or religious postings.

Anonymous said...

I would tend to agree with your view. If Jesus is pro life, that means no abortions; no death penalty.

And yes, he would have olive skin. People have looked at me cross eyed when I've said that, but you don't see many European looking Israelis.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking