Saturday, March 25, 2006

Saturday Night Music Musings

In praise of this album from the group Toto.
I have always been a man that appreciates a wide variety of music, from Mahavishnu to Dean Martin, from Black Sabbath to Wes Montgomery, from Hank Williams to the Carpenters(shaddap!!)
I really first heard most of Toto when they backed up Boz Scaggs "Silk Degrees". I thought the songs from that album were performed very tightly and you knew these cats knew how to play. They reminded me of a funky Steely Dan, and that was good.
This release in 1978 (at the height of the disco craze)was also right when I was discovering the magic of radio and the wondrous doors it opened up. Doors like spinning tunes at the local "disco" on a Friday and Saturday night for hours and hours, getting a fifty, staying up all night long and being newly divorced and all....well, ahem I digress.
I was music director at an AM station that played Barry Manilow during the day, then at 7 pm, we would play a pre-recorded intro and then Rush or Ted Nugent or Santana or Deep Purple would come on. I still have the logo...It was great and for awhile, we kicked everyone's ass until an FM station in town figured out what we were doing and signed on. We were done. Anyway, I got the album from the record guy, took it home and fell in love. I think every track is strong but my favorite tune on the LP is without a doubt "Georgy Porgy". God, what a song to fill the dance floor with. I was blown away by the entire thing. "Girl Goodbye", "Rockmaker","You Supply The Love" ande the classic "Hold The Line". I will never forget being 22 again; still in love with radio and still in love with life.

3 comments:

Just Some Guy on the Radio said...

My favorite was always "Child's Anthem". But overall, its a great album! Might have to put it on the album special one of these weeks.

Just Some Guy on the Radio said...

My favorite was always "Child's Anthem". But overall, its a great album! Might have to put it on the album special one of these weeks.

Anonymous said...

Great album! I've actually been listening to that one lately. Would love to hear some Shooting Star stories that you can pass along...I know that you knew those guys from KC.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking