Saturday, April 01, 2006

Hope I Die Before I Get Sold

First, Cingular Wireless used "The Weight" by The Band and that made me think..what the hell does "The Weight" have to do with phones? Then, they ripped off one of my all time favorite songs with "Melissa" by the Allman Brothers...
And then, watching TV last night I heard "Solsbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel Do these people need the $$ THAT much? After having lunch with my friend who is in advertising, he told me that these companies are trying to make a connection with us boomers by using our favorite songs. I told him the only thing it does for me is to make me NEVER to buy their products. Then, the killer rip off is of "Inna Gadda Da Vida" by Iron Butterfly. It has NO connection with Fidelity Investments or whatever.
I wonder if Fidelity knew that "Inna Godda Da Vida" was the closest thing a very drunk Doug Engle could say as he sang "In The Garden Of Eden, babay, don't you know that I love you...".I hate the fact that we have sold our soul to the highest bidder. Pete Townshend has actually turned out to be one of the worst offenders. He has sold every song, it seems, to just about anyone (Hummers, shoes, CBS TV shows). Apparently GM offered the remaining members of the Doors $15 million for the rights to "Break On Through". John Densmore turned them down. Good for him. The use of classic rock songs in advertising shows me a lack of creativity on the part of advertising agencies and a lack of foresight on the companies that approve the usage of these campaigns. I will always think twice before purchasing these products.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post, Randy. I have linked to it from the About Classic Rock blog, and have added Radio Randy to my list of top Related Blogs (look for the widget just below the served ad to the right of the blog entries.)
Thanks!
Dave White
About Classic Rock
http://classicrock.about.com

http://www.About.com
About.com is part of The New York Times Company

Blog Archive

Web Tracking