Thursday, May 11, 2006

Bob Heil's Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Exhibit

Yesterday, in a pouring rainstorm, I got to see my old friend Bob Heil. We had Bob on the Rock morning show a number of times. Bob makes top of the line headphones, microphones and other related sound items. Bob is also having an exhibit displayed at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. Bob found his calling when The Grateful Dead's sound guy got busted for drugs right before they stopped in St. Louis in 1970. Unfortunately, the constables confiscated their sound equipment. Bob to the rescue and he has been providing rock bands with top of the line equipment and advice for 36 years. I was there with Mike Anderson who runs the St. Louis Media website (and thanks Mike for some of the pictures), his son Jason, Radio Rich Dalton (St. Louis radio legend), Frank Nichols and Tom Calhoun who is the keeper of one of the finer blogs in cyberspace. Some highlights...

Here is Bob with the talkbox that Joe Walsh and Peter Frampton made famous.

Yes, that is one of the most famous microphones ever in rock and roll.

That is me thinking that this is one of the most famous microphones ever in rock and roll.

Bob Heil and yours truly.

I had speakers like this installed in an old Vega one time.

TShirts and merchandise available at the door.

Yes, this is the way we used to use a delay.

Yo girlfriend can go through, you have to stay back here.

This is a Quadraphonic board. Remember Quadraphonic? I do. I had a copy of Chicago 5 that sounded tres cool at that time. They quit making them however.

Jason Anderson, Mike Anderson, Bob, RadioRich and Tom Calhoun.

Bob told a story about how he told Pete Townshend one time that he didn't drink or smoke, but Pete replied, "you take care of the sound and we should use you to drive the bus". Bob's a great guy. Congrats, Bob and thanks for the preview.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used one of your photos on my blog in a story about Bob Heil. Really a neat story and I had no idea he had been responsible for a lot of the music I love. Interesting posting you did.
Thanks
Julia

http://stix1972.typepad.com/stix_blog/

Blog Archive

Web Tracking