Friday, May 19, 2006

Ramblin Randy


My sister and I grew up in a bowling alley. Every fucking Sunday night we would put on our stupid matching uniforms and go to the bowling alley to be paraded around like a couple of goons. My dad was an old man and so were his friends. They would all smoke cigarettes and get drunk on "highballs" and hit on my mom who was twenty years youger than all of them. I hated Sunday nights. But, I did grow a fondness for bowling and in my day could hit a 185 average or so. I haven't bowled since I got sick which was 4 years ago. The last time I bowled I was sick because I couldn't throw the ball very well. I went bowling yesterday. I started with a 121, found my mark and five games later did a 178. It felt great. Fancy damn scoring machines they have on the lanes does everything but pick up a split.

The first watermelon of the season has made it to the Raley home and has promptly disappeared. There are two things I can eat my weight in. The first would be cashews and the second would be watermelon. The first watermelon of the season always tastes the best.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What does a track coach coach? Really, is it technique? My high school track coach smoked which I thought was funny but I never got what they actually coached. Either you are fast or you are not. Jest wonderin'
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The youngest daughter is Lady Capulet in our production of Romeo and Juliet at Priory. She tried out for Juliet but didn't quite look young enough. The play runs through Sunday's matinee. This is the stuff that makes it all worthwhile through the bitching and screaming sessions that seem to make no sense. I am very proud.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My oldest is having her graduation party on saturday night in the Quad Cities and I am looking forward to a road trip. I love the road and will drive to the Quads Saturday afternoon, see Jess and all, turn around and head back to St. Louis Sunday morning.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's all good.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking