Tuesday, May 02, 2006

So Long Old Friend


It has been brought to my attention that an old friend will be saying so long. Power 97 in Sedalia was what a "true" classic rock station should be. Their slogan was "Sure, we play the same 300 songs that every other station plays, but we also play 1700 more" or something like that. With an incredible signal, I was actually able to listen to these guys while driving from St. Louis to Jefferson City every morning. They would play things like "South City Midnight Lady" by the Doobie Brothers and other GREAT songs that "classic rock" stations won't play (thanks again, Lee). "Rosewood Bitters" by Micheal Stanley was another fave that no other station would even touch. It was run by Bill Barrick and mornings were done by my bud Ken Dillon. It seems like yesterday when we all sat down at a BBQ joint in Sedalia and talked about the future of the station and radio in general with my job for Learfield. I'm gone and now so are they. KPOW has been sold and basically, from what I hear, it's time to turn out the lights. Bill quit and Ken has been banished to the AM. Sometimes, this business really sucks. Why is it that we keep coming back for more beatings? Why do us radio guys like getting hit in the head with a sledgehammer time and time again? Why do we enjoy standing at the altar waiting for the most beautiful woman in the world to break our hearts again? And again? Those are very good questions, but I have no answers because, you see, I am in denial. Is it too late to get a degree in psychology?
R.I.P. Power 97 You guys did your job well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Randy,
I have been reading your blog as well as those of Ken and Bill. I went to school with Bill and should have hired Ken when he was about 16 looking for a job at the radio stations I operated in Sedalia, many moons ago. A loss for sure as I always thought that KPOW was a successor to the "old" KCBW.

An unknown friend to all......WY

Anonymous said...

I will try this again, I have read with great interest your posts about KPOW (and others). A true loss for Sedalia and KPOW. Went to school with Bill and should have hired Ken when he was looking to get into the business at about age 16. Been there and done that in Sedalia....a long, long time ago at another station down the road. WY

Ken Dillon said...

Thanks, so much, Randy. For EVERYTHING over all these years.

I'm sure that our paths will cross in this business again. At least, I pray that they do.

By the way...I HAVE A Psychology degree. It ain't helpin'!

Dave Morris said...

Submissive masochists, we must be. Willing to give up our pride and self... just for an opportunity to entertain people, make someone tap their toe or call and contribute.

Or, we're just not qualified to do much else. One or the other. ;)

Blog Archive

Web Tracking