Wednesday, September 27, 2006

In Praise of....Rare Earth

When my brother came back from Vietnam in 1970, he returned with a whole new form of listening to music...cassettes. I knew they were around but until he returned, I didn't know you could get prerecorded versions of my favorite albums on them. Wow! One of the cassettes he brough back was "Ecology" by Rare Earth. Now, I had been exposed to these guys by what was played on the radio, but to hear a ten minute version of "I Know I'm Losing You" blew this 14 year old's mind.

The first concert I ever saw was Rare Earth, Sugarloaf and Flo & Eddie at the Rock Island Armory where the sound bounced around four times before it landed in your ears. I didn't care. I saw them perform agian at the Uptown Theatre in Kansas City in 1981 with all the original members and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. Note for note and downright as close to perfect as I have witnessed, still to this day. I also liked them because the drummer sang.

With that in mind, my top five favorite Rare Earth songs....

1. "I Just Want To Celebrate" summer of 1971, this was the best song on the radio.
2. "Hey Big Brother" as funky as you want to be and a fortelling of the future.
3. "I Know I'm Losing You" it has to be the 10 minute version, though. Incredible!
4. "Born To Wander" I remember hearing this on the drive home from playing basketball all over the midwest on WLS.
5. "Any Man Can Be Fool" obscure song from "One World"
...oh yeah and the 20 minute live version of "Get Ready" rocks, too.

Postscript How sick am I? I got on line to my favorite CD clearinghouse www.gemm.com and found a copy of "One World" on CD in Germany. Yeah, I ordered it. What a clown.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget "long time leaving" and a so/so cover of Dave Masons "feeling alright" (come to think of it, who didn't do a cover of it). I caught the tour that teamed Rare Earth w/ Kiss before anyone knew who Kiss was.. At the time, I couldn't understand why Rare Earth, being the headliner, opened the show. A few hours later, I knew why...I still have the newspaper ad for that show..Tim

Anonymous said...

Nice blog you have here. I have a classic rock blog, let me know if you'd like me to link you on it.

My cousins were in Viet Nam and I remember them coming home, I think I was about 10

RR said...

please do. let me know your blog and i will hook it up here, too.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking