Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Happy 80th Chuck Berry


In rock and roll, it all starts and ends with him. He is the man. I interviewed Chuck in 1985 when the movie "Hail, Hail, Rock and Roll" was announced. I wish I had a way to attach audio here, I would then let you hear a guy so star struck he could hardly talk (that would be me). My picture with him was lost in the great flood in my basement (1992). He was and is an irascible old coot. I can remember a story told by a longtime St. louis musician (no names please)who said that Chuck would purposely untune his guitar and wouldn't care that it sounded like shit. Why should he? He's Chuck Berry and from what I hear, playing better than ever. He has a big gig tonight at the Duck Room at Blueberry Hill. (Duck room? Blueberry? Get it?) and of course the tickets have been gone for weeks, but there's always tomorrow night...oh wait, they're gone too. Happy Birthday to a St. Louis treasure and the guy who is the grandfather of rock and roll, just ask him, he will tell you all about it. 80 years old, Wow!
My Chuck Berry top ten:
1. Let It Rock
2. Sweet Little Sixteen
3. Wee Wee Hours
4. Maybelline
5. Reelin and Rockin
6. No Particular Place To Go
7. Brown Eyed Handsome Man
8. You Can't Catch Me
9. Johnny B. Goode
10.Little Queenie

RIP Johnnie Johnson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget 'Memphis'.. one of my favorites

Anonymous said...

My list would include the following songs...

Carol
Promised Land
Run Rudolf Run
Wee Wee Hours
Too Much Monkey Business
Around and Around
Bye Bye Johnny
Thirty Days
Little Queenie

Blog Archive

Web Tracking