Thursday, October 05, 2006

In My Time Of Dying....

This was on Metro Source today...


As pop music becomes more prominent throughout all aspects of life, it's also cropping up more and more in death as well. A recent survey by the UK's Bereavement Register shows that the majority of the most requested songs for funerals started out as hit singles. Bill Medley sings two tunes that made the top ten. His duet with Jennifer Warnes, "I've Had the Time of My Life," is at number three while the Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody" holds the number ten spot. Bette Midler's "Wind Beneath My Wings," Elton John's "Candle in the Wind," and Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" are other top selections among UK mourners. James Blunt's "Goodbye My Lover" is the most requested song for British funerals. The Bereavement Register's founder Mark Roy told the BBC Online the trend toward contemporary music reflects the association of a particular song with a certain person, special place, or significant event.

The Top Ten UK Funeral Songs

1. James Blunt, "Goodbye My Lover"
2. Robbie Williams, "Angels"
3. Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes, "I've Had the Time of My Life"
4. Bette Midler, "Wind Beneath My Wings"
5. "Requiem, Pie Jesu"
6. Elton John, "Candle in the Wind"
7. U2, "With or Without You"
8. Eric Clapton, "Tears in Heaven"
9. The Police, "Every Breath You Take"
10. The Righteous Brothers, "Unchained Melody"

WTF? "With Or Without You"? "Every Breath You Take"?



When I go, it'll be in a blaze of glory. The songs to be played at my service will be

"He Is Sailing" by Jon and Vangelis
"In My Life" by the Beatles
"Into The Mystic" by Van Morrison and then the party starts.

We finish out big time with

"Let It Rock" by Bob Seger (the "Live Bullet" version) then "Born To Run" by Bruce Springsteen..."thank you, you've been a great audience...goodnight!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's some irony for ya - I threw "Into The Mystic" into our wedding reception mix.

Considering Ker's similar chosen profession, and as a side note, you can only imagine the "debate" between two DJ's for a wedding reception mix - if you can make it through that, it's golden.

Not to descend into the morbid, but when I go, I've made two "requests":

1) Cremation. Period.
2) Music at the "gathering" to consist of largely of favorite blues tunes, and must include Aretha's "Good To Me As I Am To You", BB King's "Ain't Nobody Home", and a large dose of Ray Charles and Freddie King. Dig.

Sean

Anonymous said...

Let's just hope yours is a long way away. We've had enought good friends pass for a while.

Todd Myers

Blog Archive

Web Tracking