Wednesday, November 01, 2006

John Densmore's Tribal Jazz


One of the things I like to do is voice track a shift on our smooth jazz station at www.smoothvox.com. One of the duties I have for that job is to review new music. I have come across some gems while doing so. I have found another. The CD is called "tribaljazz" and that it is. This is a collection of jazz musicians that John Densmore (the former drummer for the Doors) has assembled. This is what I like to call "acid jazz". Don't ask me why but this sounds like it was made back in the 60s, and that's a real good thing. It's just a very ecclectic group of musicians and songs that sound great. John is the drummer and you will find flutes, saxes and things like a coxixi. There are five vocal tracks, one laid down by Alfre Woodard on an awesome composition called "The First Time I Heard Coltrane". On "Vegetable Wizard", the vocals are in French and "Orange Midnight" is sung in Senegalese. See? Weird, trippy shit. One of the other vocals is Jim Morrison's whisper vocal on "Riders On The Storm" with a new arrangement and a completely different sound. "Violet Love" is a rap number about all of the killing that religion has wrought. Art Ellis is the cat on the flutes, saxes and pianos. This is a killer of a recording that just came at me out of left field. This sounds nothing like what John did with The Doors and it is "acid jazz".
Coltrane would be proud to have his name associated with this. It sounds very much like what he would sound like today (I think). Three and a half stars from judge Raley.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking