Saturday, February 24, 2007

Billy Joel Feb 21st Gaylord Entertainment Center



This guy is so good. I started listening to Billy Joel in 1973, one year before Piano Man hit the chart. It was a Saturday and I was visiting my local head er, uh I mean "record shop" and they had "Cold Spring Harbor" on the record player and I heard "She's Got A Way" and "Everybody Loves you Now" and I was hooked.
I was really pleased when "Piano Man" came out and "The Stranger" is an absolute masterpiece. His "Sgt. Pepper". I have been fan and seen him two other time. Once at the Arena in 1986 and he.blew.me.away. Even though the output in the 90's was not his best, I still liked his stuff.
I saw him last Wednesday in Nashville and again, he has confirmed that he is one the best entertainers of our generation.
He started with "The Angry Young Man" as he has the other two times I saw him. Imagine my pleasure when the second song was "Everybody Loves You Now". Other highlights include his banter with the crowd(calling "The Bridge" a piece of junk was pretty ballsy)and saying that being bald didn't mean "less hair, but more head".
The only letdowns were
a) "Big Shot". I hate that song.
b) "We Didn't Start The Fire". I hate that song worse.
c) "Highway To Hell" sung by his roadie, "Chainsaw". WTF?
All the hits were there and some very nice surprises. "Root Beer Rag" was fun and "Zanzibar" was a real treat. "Shameless" was appropriate for Nashville since Garth had such a hit with it.
He did one encore (as everyone should do). "Only The Good Die Young", "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant" (His Stairway To Heaven and my personal favorite) and, of course "Piano Man". The segue from "Keeping The Faith" to "River of Dreams" was flawless. "New York State of Mind" was it's usual awesome. Things he could have played..."Captain Jack", "Goodnight Saigon" and "Say Goodbye To Hollywood" but, yet, he gave us over two hours of great great stuff. I highly recommend this tour.
Thanks Youtube.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking