Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

This is a rant, so get ready. I really like Van Halen, they made some great music in the late 70's and into the 90's. The addition of Sammy Hagar really invigorated this band. Some of their songs are on my list as the best of all time. I am not sure, however, how they got elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I think they are a great band, but I am not familiar with the criteria needed to get elected. Case in point...here are some of my selections that I think should have gotten in before them...



Linda Ronstadt, THE most popular female singer of the 70's. And just because of this album cover... 'nuff said.


Van Halen before Neil...that aint right. One of the most prolific songwriters ever and still going strong today..OK, I will take away points for 'Heartlight', but tell me is there anyone who has the portfolio of songs this guys does...I didn't think so. It's a travesty he's not in.


The Hollies...'Bus Stop','The Air That I Breathe','He Aint Heavy','Carrie Ann' ETC ETC. Perfect harmonies and great songwriting.


YES. Formed in 1968 and still going strong. Just for 'Roundabout', 'Your Move' and 'Owner of A Lonely Heart'. These guys have definately earned their spot.


Three Dog Night. This is a no brainer..21 top ten songs and three number ones. This is a disgrace that they aren't in. I don't know of a better band backing three talented vocalists. A huge part of the soundtrack of my adolescence.


Chicago..another crime. They rank as one of the biggest selling bands ever. I can only think they are snubbed because after 'If You Leave Me Now', they didn't rock anymore. Give me the first five albums anyday.


Doobie Brothers...THIS is the biggest, glaringest snub ever. These guys still do a hundred dates a year and their catalogue is still one of the best selling ever. 'The Best of The Doobies' has sold over 20 million copies...this is just bullshit.


Heart...maybe a stretch but I wouldn't have a problem with them getting in.


The Moody Blues...another monumental snub. Nine excelleent releases and they changed the landscape in the late 60's and early 70's with smart, excellent songs. From 1967-72, these guys were the best ofthe bunch.

That is just the opinion of one music lover, if there are any you care to add, feel free.

6 comments:

Ken Dillon said...

Amen on a lot of these, on my list, too, ESPECIALLY Chicago!!
I'd list more, but I need to go look at that Ronstadt picture a little more.

Anonymous said...

I'm stunned that these are the EXCLUDED artists - and I never thought Van Halen was that great. I don't have any of their music in my collection because I didn't care for them that much. They were okay, but they never moved me like all the people you have listed here did (ALL these artists are in my collection). Not knowing the complete list of artists in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I can't add to your list. Who decides who gets in and who doesn't? Is the public consulted at all on this? I'm totally ignorant on this subject, I'm afraid ...

Anonymous said...

I agree with most if not all. As to Heart, they win because on tracks that never really got released other than to radio stations, they did Zeppelin almost as good as Zeppelin.

Brian Holland said...

Wow, I thought Neil Diamond was ALREADY in the Hall! Wrong, wrong, wrong! I heartily endorse ALL of your choices, too--I'd never even considered the Hollies before, but hell, if the Lovin' Spoonful gets in, Graham Nash and crew are certainly worthy. It'd be nice if the HOF would do like they do for the NFL Pro Bowl and let the FANS have a say on who gets in. I bet Patti Smith wouldn't have a hope in hell if the PEOPLE voted instead of the suits...

Anonymous said...

You and the hall of Sham are remiss in not mentioning Kansas for consideration. Heart? Please.

Anonymous said...

You and the Hall of Sham are remiss in overlooking Kansas, the greatest American prog rock band, and multi platinum album seller, still performing today.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking