Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Shelly Grafman



There is a movement on the St. Louis media website (to your upper right)to get Shelly Grafman's name on the "St. Louis Walk of Fame". How fitting. Shelly was the guy responsible for running of KSHE from 1967-1984. Here is a copy on an email that I sent Mike Anderson, who runs that site:

Mike,

I first heard KSHE in 1972 while visiting cousins who lived in St. Charles. I knew right then that this was a trailblazing station because where I lived, they didn't play that kind of music on the radio. KSHE is responsible for most of my musical taste and I can't thank Shelly Grafman (and the people he hired)enough for what they brought to my life. While listening to his station in St. Louis, he forced me to go exploring when it came to great unheard artists. The first time I heard Bruce Springsteen was on KSHE, the same for Jackson Browne, Robert Palmer, etc. After finishing radio school in the Quad Cities in 1976, we were all asked where we would like to be in ten years. My answer was "doing afternoons at KSHE". Through the grace of God and John Beck, I made it with a year to spare. I met Mr. Grafman a couple of times and he told me once he really liked what I did. That comment means as much to me today as it did then.

KSHE was (and is) revered all over the country as how radio should be done. Mr. Grafman had his hands all over that station and if anyone deserves their place in the St. Louis walk of fame, it's Shelly Grafman.

Let me know when the ceremony is.



Sincerely,

Randy Raley

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking