Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Whimper Rather Than A Bang



When I was younger, I thought it would be cool to die on the air.
(AP)"Local radio personality Randy Raley was found dead on the air today. His death was called into the front desk of the station by one of his numerous and rabid fans who heard him say..."grffffhtyuiffdd" as his last words. His passing leaves a huge void in the radio landscape and his funeral will be broadcast on the local CBS affiliate pre-empting the Cardinals home opener."
As much as that would be cool, it ain't gonna end like that. I am now one day out from the end of a career as I know it. How will it end? With a whimper and not a bang, that's for sure. What will be the last song, ever? I'd like to play the "Abbey Road" medley starting at "Mean Mr. Mustard" and finishing with "The End". It will most likely be "Born To Run" (a song that doesn't test well, so we are not playing it). I will say "thanks for listening" and then that's it. I will hope to have it saved for posterity. I will do stage announcements for Eddie Money on Saturday night, fill up the tank and head back.


And then a new life starts on Monday morning.

I look damn fine in a three piece suit, too.

5 comments:

Brian Holland said...

If you like, feel free to use the final words I uttered to close out my brief radio career: "I am history..." Seriously, congrats Randy on a great career--you rocked my world like few have been able to do. Best of luck at KMOX too!

Anonymous said...

Randy Randy Randy. You are not over me yet. I can see it in your words.

Anonymous said...

Damn WRQQ!!!!!!! They didn't get the streaming in time for me to hear your last show and the request line isn't working!!!!!!!

Good luck my friend!


Hugs,
Beth

RR said...

Ah, radio. When did we last meet? was that the first time you jilted me at the altar or was the 13th? You know, radio, you were always the best looking woman of the bunch. Heads turned when I walked into rooms with you. You were quite the entertainer...Ah, radio, I will always love you but you're not the same gal I married. You've become unbearable in my light. So, after all this time, let us depart as lovers and friends and let the memories be sweet. You have given me so much and I in return have given you my heart and soul. But, it's over and I must go on, I have found a new love.. (Stage left)Dolly Parton comes in and starts singing.."I will always love you--who-who"

B said...

I wanna see a pic of you in a three-piece suit! :)

Bonnie

Blog Archive

Web Tracking