Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Wednesday Junk



While diggin on and through some tunes for the accountant, I came across this beauty. I came to St. Louis on my honeymoon to my first lovely wife in 1974 and I left St. Louis with Nektar. At that time, it was a big favorite on KSHE. It sounds a bit dated but it's almost like having seen a friend from the past who didn't quite make it out of the seventies. A fine old discovery though and it brought back very strong memories of me thinking.."what he fuck did I just do?"...
My two favorite songs on here would be side one and side two.



God, I loved this show and just found it again through reruns. This show can bring me to tears. Kevin Arnold was 12 in 1968. Bingo! So was I. It is uncanny how this show wrapped up the thoughts of loneliness, amazement and sometimes joy that I felt at that age. I think it got all the way to high school and then it was over. I remeber how hard I cried at the last show when it was revealed that Kevin' dad died the next year, just like my dad did. Wow, this show ranks in the top ten of my all time favorite shows. Five stars.




I have volunteered to be a Mentor, which means I give 45 minutes of my life every month to a kid in the hood who needs it. On Tuesday, I went to Simmons Elementary and sat with Lamontae. He wants to be a sports agent and he really likes Math. I told he needed to go to college and the whole world could be his. He was a cute kid and I enjoyed him. You start when the kids are in first grade and you follow them through to the fifth grade. These kids don't have much, but they seem to try very hard. I kinda felt sorry for them but inside the school, it was clean and the teachers really appreciate the help, I think.


Starting in the fall, I am going back to shool and finish that frikkin degree I started on in 1974, continued in 1984 and in 1994. Time to get serious. I would like to be a teacher some day and a place like Simmons would be cool and challenging. The question remains, would anyone hire a 54 year old guy, fresh out of school? Most say no, I say, why not?

2 comments:

Brian Holland said...

Re: "The Wonder Years": I've constantly been asking, "When's this one coming out on DVD?", but I have a feeling the same thing that delayed "WKRP" being released on DVD is afflicting this show--the music licensing!

Too bad too, because it was a great TV show. I, too, went through many of the trials and tribulations that young master Kevin went through in school, and who among us didn't have a Winnie Cooper to obsess over? Mine was named Sharon, and she had light brown hair, but nearly the same face as "Super Cooper", but Kevin at least had the stones to pursue her, unlike my chicken-shit ass! I loved the episode where Kevin busted his ass working the thankless job at the Chinese delivery restaurant so he could buy Winnie an expensive sweater for Christmas, yet all she gave him in return was a Bread album! Too funny...

Long live TWY!

karlene's mom said...

I'd hire you.
You've always been good with my kids... or "students" all though I prefer saying "my kids"
I am so glad you're mentoring! :-)
~ mh

Blog Archive

Web Tracking