Tuesday, June 19, 2007

In Praise of The Buckinghams


I was in the grocery store tonight, picking up some stuff for dinner when "Don't You Care" by the Buckinghams came on over the loud speaker. Damn, I was immediately transported back to being eleven again and to top it off, I knew every word, just like the old days. When I got home, I popped "The Buckinghams' Greatest Hits" on the old Bose Wave and sang to my heart's content. These guys were one of the best sounding bands ever. The precursor to Chicago with that horn section and those tight harmonies. They were produced by James William Guercio (the same guy who did Chicago) and they were from Chicago. I hear that four of the five original guys are still playing in rock and roll shows. I would pay money to see them, no doubt. With that in mind, my five favorite Buckinghams tunes would be these:
4. Susan (I was head over heels about a girl named Suzie)

1 comment:

Brian Holland said...

Stuff like this is why I loved growing up listening to AM Top 40 radio when I was a kid. But can you imagine these poor guys having to follow The Who on the bill at Shawnee Mission South high school in 1967? Talk about bizarre!

Blog Archive

Web Tracking