Saturday, August 04, 2007

They Could Have Been Beatles Songs

I was washing the car today (while sweating) and I came across a song on the Ipod that got me thinking about Beatles songs not done by The Beatles. Songs that sound just like The Beatles but aren't... Tears For Fears-"Sowing The Seeds of Love" This is a well intended blatant rip off of the mid period Beatles stuff, all the way down to the french horns in the chorus. With the "A Day in The Life" trippiness pervasive in this sound, I enjoy the tribute and like this song.

Beatle level 4

ELO (good)-Mr. Blue Sky. Maybe it's me but I think this song is a loving tribute by a guy who stated that he always wanted to be John Lennon. I think this song was at the writing and performing peak of this band. How about an alarm clock in the song? Sure, here is a perfect place. Not plagarism but paraphrasing the Beatles' sound to almost perfection.
Beatle level 4.5

ELO (bad)-Don't Bring Me Down. I hate this song, It think it's plagarism from a guy who should know better. I don't know why but this tune rubbed me the wrong way everytime I heard(or played)it. It was the first time in the career that ELO didn't use strings on a song.

Beatle level 2

Raspberries-Go All The Way The first time I heard this on the AM radio, I just knew this was what we had all been waiting for, the return of the fab four. But alas, the DJ told me it was "The Raspberries" wha? Whatever, it sounded great in the summer of my 16th year.
Beatle level 4
Badfinger- "Day After Day" This is cheating.
Beatle level 5Klaatu-"Sub Rosa Subway" Again, this had to be them, right? The hoax of 1977. Silence from the record companies about this group. Could it be? Nah, it's just a cheap imitation. Catchy stuff but minus two stars for trying to deceive the radio guys. Not good karma.
Beatle level 1.5

Utopia-"Deface The Music" Everything on here sounds like the Beatles, this is a masterpiece. Have a few listens here. His ultimate tribute.

Beatle level 4.25


Cheap Trick-"Voices" Just about everything these guys did expressed their love for the fab four, this one in particular. As good as these guys got, and they got good.

Beatle level 3.75

3 comments:

Fowler Jones said...

I know why you can't stand ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down". It's because KYYS put it in heavy rotation in 1979 and left it there, to this day. Blech!

Anonymous said...

Don't knock Badfinger....Paul McCartney wrote or produced their songs which is probably why there's that familuar Beatles sound.

RR said...

I LOVED Badfinger. Great great band.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking