Friday, January 18, 2008

R I P Marty Hendin/Georgia Frontiere

Thanks Marty. Just for being a baseball geek that went to school in University City. Just for being a guy who would openly and publicly admit that you had the best job in America; Public and Media Relations director for the Cardinals. And for being one of the easiest and kindest guys ever to deal with. I first met Marty in 1985 when I requested my first tickets as a St. Louis resident and one time big shot. He never forgot me and rarely failed in providing a request to see the Cardinals. He had every promotional schwag he had ever been involved with. That's decades of stuff. No one in this city had anything less than a profound affection and respect for the unflappable one. "No sweat". Thanks again Marty for being one of the truly real good guys. See ya down the road. Done too soon at 59.I am not much of a Rams fan. I think the teams that they put on the field from 1999-2003 will be remembered as some of the best ever but I just don't have an emotional tie to this team. I thought it was a crappy deal that brought the Rams here. We get a team but someone loses theirs? Hardly seems fair. Georgia inherited the team from her late husband, one of seven. The President of the team lives in LA, doesn't spend any time in St. Louis and right now, they suck. But she brought them here and for a few magical years, the Dome (one of the worst places in the world to see a game) was rocking. It's not now. So, I appreciate it. I hope I live to be 80.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking