Saturday, February 16, 2008

Yoko

Earlier this week, there were reports that said John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, was said to be planning legal action against with a young singer-songwriter named Lennon Murphy, who sought to trademark the name of her band, "Lennon."
Ms. Ono tells says today that the reports (from Fox, NME, TMZ, and others) she was suing Ms. Murphy are untrue -- she just didn't want Murphy to seek an exclusive trademark on "Lennon."
Yoko Ono says
"A musician named Lennon Murphy is claiming that Yoko Ono has sued her and that Yoko is seeking to stop Lennon Murphy from performing under her name, Lennon Murphy. Both of these claims are untrue.
Several years ago, Lennon Murphy sought Yoko's permission to do her performances under her name, Lennon Murphy. Yoko, of course, did not object to her request. Subsequently, without Yoko's knowledge, Lennon Murphy filed an application in the United States trademark Office requesting the exclusive right to utilize the name "Lennon" for musical performances. Yoko's attorneys asked Lennon Murphy's attorneys and manager to withdraw her registration of exclusivity to the name LENNON for the trademark. Yoko also offered to cover all costs Lennon Murphy had incurred in filing for the trademark. But Lennon Murphy went ahead to register.
Yoko did not sue Lennon Murphy, but sought to stop her from getting the exclusive right to the name Lennon for performance purposes. For that, Yoko's attorneys, simply notified the Trademark office that Yoko did not believe it was fair that Ms. Murphy be granted the exclusive right to the "Lennon" trademark in relation to musical and entertainment services. As you can see, this is a very important issue for Yoko and the Lennon family.
Yoko says: "I am really hurt if people thought that I told a young artist to not use her own name in her performances and had sought to sue her. I did no such thing. I hope this allegation will be cleared."


I interviewed her once in 1986 (probably my worst interview ever), and I really liked her. I will post pictures soon, but I think she has class. As she once told me "John fell out of love being a Beatle and he fell in love with me, what's so hard to believe?" I believe.

1 comment:

dr sardonicus said...

Lennon Murphy. She's a Nashville girl, and yes, her mama did name her after John Lennon. She's a cross between Tori Amos and Trent Reznor, if you can imagine that, and she has quite a cult following. She had some dates last year opening for Pat Benatar.

She caught a bad break when her major-label debut, 5:30 Saturday Morning, was released on 9/11/01. Somebody gave me a copy of that disc; I hated it at first, but it's grown on me over the years. She had some personal hassles that stalled her career, but she's back out there again, and could yet turn out to be formidable.

You just can't copyright a name like that, though.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking