Sunday, October 05, 2008

William Guy (Butch) Raley Jr. October 5th 1948-October 8th 1993


My brother, you would be 60 today. How time files and how much I miss you.

Thank you for showing me what a man was all about. Thank you for your service and dedication to your family and your country. That dedication to your country ultimately lead to your downfall. Thank you for taking time away from your friends to put up with your little brother. Thank you for teaching me about girls, cars and music. Thank you for your children, you would be so proud of them. Thank you for your patience, understanding and your tough love. Thank you for telling me when I was getting off the track. Thank you for the tears when I told you I had finally made it to KSHE. You knew how imporatant it was for me. Thank you for reminding me of my commitment to make things right in the world. Thank you for everything, there is a hole in my heart that will never be filled. Your absence has been felt every day of my life. I lost my big brother on that fateful October day. I just wonder what you'd think of me now. Would you be proud? I hope so. I lived for your approval. I hope I have finally received it.

I love you so much and miss you incredibly. I hope there is no pain but eternal happiness. You deserve it.


These mist covered mountains
Are a home now for me
But my home is the lowlands
And always will be

Some day youll return to
Your valleys and your farms
And youll no longer burn
To be brothers in arms

Through these fields of destruction
Baptisms of fire
Ive watched all your suffering
As the battles raged higher

And though they did hurt me so bad
In the fear and alarm
You did not desert me
My brothers in arms

Theres so many different worlds
So many differents suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Now the suns gone to hell
And the moons riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die
But its written in the starlight
And every line on your palm
Were fools to make war
On our brothers in arms


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cry. I can't believe he'd be 60, to me he will always be 45. I hope I've done right by him and made him proud. I talk about him to his granddaughter often. I would love for him to meet her, but since that's not possible, I hope he'd be proud of her too. Nic.

Blog Archive

Web Tracking