Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Top 100-Roxy Music






1983 was a very strange year for me.

I was in then out then in a relationship with someone who I will consider one of the true loves of my life. I don't think there has been finer, more decent, more beautiful person I have ever met than her. When we loved, we loved and when we didn't get along, we wouldn't see each other for weeks at time. You see, I was 27, she was 23 and still needed a chance to explore who she was. I got it and was willing to wade through all that to receive the rewards that waited on the other side. While I was trying to figure out what was happening while she was away, I wanted to play. I must admit to being someone who would take advantage of my profession, I met women everywhere.

This was the record I would seduce them with. From beginning to end, this album is all about one thing. While I am not an expert on this, I would probably think this and some Gino Vanelli would be about suited for any job. For that reason, this release has reached my top ten. The songs are mellow magic and if you listen to the whole thing in one setting, (as I did), right about the time "To Turn You On" hits the speakers, the party is in full bloom (so to speak). This is the sex manual. Roxy was getting ready to break up, having been a band for awhile, they were approaching a time where they couldn't stand each other. Brian Ferry was getting into his solo (and Jerry Hall) thing and guys like Phil Manzenera (who is one of the most underrated guys in the business) probably got tired of being told what to do.
"More Than This" kicks it off well as a great prelude to the body of work. My favorite is "Avalon" and it juts catches me somewhere around the heart. "While My Heart Is Still Beating" as almost a perfect song. Great music, excellent lyrics and a sweet vibe. This was released in 1982. While a had a passing fancy toward the band and mostly liked what I heard, I had no idea they had this in them. This is pretty close to my "Dark Side of the Moon" "The Main Thing" is about half way through the album and once again, pretty much nails where you should be at this time. A funky, chunky tune that rolls along. Every time I hear this, I get thrown back about 26 years to nameless, faces people that I really don't remember much. The neighbor, what was her name? "Take A Chance With Me" slows the tempo down a bit, more of a slow groove. Perfect. Phil Manzenera shows his mellow chops on this one. Could have been a hit single, I think. "Hey Angie, can you come out and play? Yeah, I know it's 2am. Thanks. " "To Turn You On" is the orgasm of the record. Damn, I hate to say it, but it is. I don't know if he's ever done a better piece of work. The only member on it was Bryan Ferry. Paul Carrack played piano. This was a clue is to what was to come with them. They were done after this record. Too bad, like Michael Jordan retiring with only one ring. "True to Life" rounds it out very sweetly, it sounds like the sun coming up, after a short instrumental coda we'll have breakfast and I'll call you, I promise.
The thing was, it was fun but it didn't mean much, the only time it meant anything that year was with her, but she was a bitch sometimes and I was an ass sometimes because I couldn't hold on, I got hurt too much. I had to get away and two years later, while still in this off again, on again deal, I get the call to come to St. Louis. That was the deal breaker.
See? See what happens when I listen to this record?
It all comes back. Isn't that what those classic recordings do? If I was to give this a ranking in my life, it would be about number 7.
Powerful, meaningful stuff. For me, anyway.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Web Tracking