Monday, February 14, 2011

About music

Got an email from a friend who said that I haven't talked much about music lately and he's right, so I will fulfill my obligation with this post constructed while I am on my lunch hour. (I hate to waste my work time and I feel particularly strong about that. I hate it when my peeps waste their time while at work). While watching the Grammys last night, I realized how really out of touch I am with today's music. While I like some of the groups out there today (Muse is exceptional and remind me of Queen), I guess my time has come and gone. The opening tribute to Aretha was fine (Christina, what are you doing with your arms)? I was pretty much done after that. I don't get Lady Gaga, I just don't, I don't think she's talentd or has anything original to contribute, she seems to be a Madonna clone, and not a very good one at that. She made over $50 million last year, so someone likes what she does. The song of the year was a song called "Fuck You"? Really? That fact alone doesn't make me want to know much more about the current state of music.

It's also Valentine's day, which means that love songs mean so much more today. I will post about five songs that are my favorites when it comes to dealing with the feelings that none of us can express. So, in no particular order, here are some of my faves..

"I Stand In Wonder" by Joe Cocker
When I first heard this in 1986, I just froze. What an awesome love song.



"Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg
This is a true story and the woman it was written about has recently come forward saying, yes, it was true. Only two minor details were changed. One was her eye color. I don't know why this doesn't get played except at Christmas. Every time I hear it, I get misty eyed. "we tried to reach beyond the emptiness, but neither one knew how..."



"How Can I tell You I Love You" - Cat Stevens
A guitar and lyrics that stick in your heart. "wherever i am, girl, i am always walking with you, allways walking with you, but i look and you're not there..."



"Island" by Gerry Rafferty Jaw dropping talent. I cried when I heard he died. So many songs we wrote that could fit easliy into the soundtrack of my life. "...I only know that wherever you are...I want to be.."



"As The Years Go Passing By - Gary Moore I could have picked a number of singers as this song is one of the greats. I picked Gary because he just nails this "...my love will follow you, as the years go passing by..."



And finally, one from my heart...

"Africa" - Toto Truly from the heart, a song that makes me stop dead in my tracks even after all these years. Heard it at Walgreens the other day and I had to hear the whole thing. .."its going to take a lot to drag me away from boo, it's nothing that a hundred million men or more could ever do..."

1 comment:

Debz Shakti Buller said...

Very good picks, Randy! I have to tell you David and I still haven't recovered from letting Gary Moore fly off to his reward last week. I actually have had to play some Gary in each of my yoga classes since then just to deal with his passing. Such a talent - such a heart!
My heart follows music and the bright Lights who compose, perform, and listen to it.
Namaste',
debz shakti

Blog Archive

Web Tracking